REteach Austin aims to disrupt systemic inequities by transforming education.
- Engage students, teachers, administrators, staff, families, and communities in dialogue about race and gender as sociopolitical constructs and how they affect the educational experiences of students and their families within the Austin community.
- Provide strategies for students and educators to collaborate on creating a more inclusive, culturally sensitive, and anti-racist/anti-oppressive space in their schools and classrooms.
- Create a support network for educators who are committed to culturally sustaining pedagogy, with specific supports for new teachers.
APPROACH TO STUDENTS
- Modify/Subvert the TEKS to teach strands in a culturally sustaining way
- Collaboratively create culturally sustaining lesson plans and activities
- Strategize on how to develop students’ critical consciousness
- Recruit students to liaise between REteach and their school in order to represent their community’s interests
- Empower students to advocate for themselves with teachers, administration, staff, and REteach
- Build new curricula that draw from student needs, as determined by students themselves
APPROACH TO TEACHERS
- Create professional development on culturally sustaining pedagogy
- Train educators how to be advocates and facilitators for educators their campus
- Develop/Accumulate resources for how to empower students with the language/mindsets necessary to challenge acts of injustice
- Focus on and provide strategies on implementing Culturally Sustaining Education
- Connect pedagogy to the bigger picture of educational and social justice
APPROACH TO ADMINISTRATION & STAFF
- Connect culturally sustaining education to metrics such as “learning outcomes,” increasing test scores, and increasing college acceptance rates
- Create professional development on how to incorporate culturally sustaining principles into administrative practices
- Create professional development on approaching student challenges from a cultural wealth perspective rather than a deficit mindset
- Recruit administrators to advocate for REteach objectives with other administrators and/or the district
APPROACH TO FAMILIES AND COMMUNITY
- Recruit members to liaise between REteach and families/community
- Create a shared REteach community space for discussion/planning about what families and communities feel they need from schools